Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 13 1/2 yr old Bichon Frise is trembling, shaking, heavily

My 13 1/2 yr old Bichon Frise is trembling, shaking, heavily panting and whining. She is very clingy. We don't know what is wrong. Can you help us?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the question.

In direct answer to your question : What you should do, just to be on the safe side is to have your vet check Lady over sooner rather than later. In her age group, showing those symptoms there is no guarantee that something serious may not be going on ....

While the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease via the internet I would say from the fact that she is panting and trembling that you cannot rule out congestive cardiac failure which is common in older dogs of your breed. Of course other diagnosis are possible ...

I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case I think it is not worth the risk as it could well make things worse as could delays in treatment. I am sorry I cannot give you any more specific advice via the internet.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She is also very itchy, more so than usual. She has been on Prednisone most of her life due to skin allergies. The Prednisone usually takes care of the itchy skin. She is running around very hyper - almost like she is on speed.
Hello again,

This does sound a complex situation, given your dog's age the best advice would be to have a vet check her over. Better safe than sorry.

Sorry I cannot safely suggest any home remedies ...

Regards,

Scott