Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.

my dog is coughing and vomiting white foam. Found some when

Customer Question

my dog is coughing and vomiting white foam. Found some when arrive at 8 and now that is 3 am. what i should do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the question.

I will be very pleased to try and answer your question but to enable me to do so with accuracy I need to know a little bit more information, so first can you tell me :

1. How is your dog other than the coughing? Still quite bright and happy?

This is just a information request for which you have not been charged, I am online at present. I will answer your question shortly after receiving your reply.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
After 8 pm when happen the first time yes. Now is 3 am we were sleeping. All she wants to do is go back to bed. She sleeps with us in the bed but i have her on the floor to be able to clean the foam
Thanks for the question.

While I cannot diagnose this via the internet I can tell you the following :

In direct answer to your question : I would not be at all surprised if Bubu has not contracted an infectious respiratory disease such as kennel cough. However where a dog is coughing other diagnosis are certainly possible and these could include such things as heart disease and bronchitis.

Since kennel cough would be a front runner I will tell you what I know about it ...

Kennel cough is a common contagious respiratory disease of canines. This disease is usually associated with recently having been in kennels or having been where dogs congregate, but dogs living on their own can sometimes catch it as well as it is an airborne disease.

This is a disease which vets will see quite a lot, we often have to explain the symptoms to clients :

1. Most owners whose dog has kennel cough think there might be something stuck in the throat due to the strange cough / retch that these dogs have - a bit like a seal honk!

2. The dog may sneeze a little but the cough is the main symptom, some dogs are quite bright and alert but others can be lethargic during the course of this disease and runny eyes are a possible symptom as well.

3. The dog will cough and retch for a few minutes and in the end it will be productive, he will bring up some white sputum, some owners take this for vomit. Once she has done this she will settle down for a bit. This however a repeated cough which just keep happening.

4. It is normally not a serious disease but will run its course given one to two weeks without treatment, however antibiotics will speed up recovery and make your dog feel better very quickly.

Here is a link for more information on this disease : LINK

My advice to you is to have your vet check Bubu over as soon as possible at a regular hours consultation, there is not really much you can do on a home treatment basis if this is kennel cough that you are dealing with and as I said there are other less likely possibilities other than kennel cough.

If I have not answered your question fully enough or if you would like to ask more I will be on line for the next hour or so and I will be pleased to discuss your question further.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can she have the kennel cough eventhough she has never missed a bordatella vacine? Also i have a second dog can she get sick too? Should i cancel her grooming for this friday?
Hello again,

1. There is more than one form of kennel cough, the bordatella vaccine is worthwhile because it protects against the main form but there are other forms so yes it would be possible for your dog to contract kennel cough even if she has been vaccinated.

2. While it does not follow as night follows day that your second dog will contract this disease it is certainly a possibility as kennel cough is highly contagious.

3. If your dog is repeatedly coughing then she could infect other dogs so yes you should cancel the grooming appointment just to be on the safe side.

Regards,

Scott