Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog ate a dead animal carcass today approximately 6 hours

My dog ate a dead animal carcass today approximately 6 hours ago and in now twitching and drolling.
Hello.

The main concern I would have with these signs is a mold toxicity. We can get neurologic signs with mold toxicity in dogs. We'll typically get nausea first and then muscle tremors. To treat, we'll usually put them on IV fluids to help get rid of the toxin faster and give a medication called Methocarbamol (Robaxin) as needed for the tremors. We can also give activated charcoal to bind any toxin left in the GI tract.

If you can, I'd get him to an ER vet tonight for treatment. If not, then try to keep fluids in him and keep from causing too much visual or audible stimulation as that will make the tremors worse.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

What other symptoms of any should I expect to see? What symptoms should I look for that would alert me to take him immediately to the ER? Will he pass toxin within 24 hours? He is passing gas and resting quietly now is that a good sign?

Typically we say if there are muscle tremors/ seizures then they should be treated. If you're already seeing those, then ideally he should be treated an an ER hospital.

If the tremors have stopped, then keep him quiet and monitor him closely for the next 12-24 hours. Typically they are back to normal by 24 hours, although I have seen some take 2-3 days.