Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College
20949193

My dog just ate a box of chocolates..it was a one lb box of

Customer Question

My dog just ate a box of chocolates..it was a one lb box of chocolate covered candy...not solid chocolate. So I figure it was about between 5 and 7 oz of chocolate. She is about 37 to 38 lbs. I think I should just monitor her? She is acting normal. She ate this maybe about 2 hours ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 3 years ago.
Hi there,

Do you know if this was milk or dark chocolate?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it was unopen when I left the house...and it says assorted...so I would figure 50/50 milk/dark covered...
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 3 years ago.
Because it's difficult to know how much chocolate he actually ingested and how much of it was dark chocolate (the worst kind), it's safest to assume the worst.

Based on his weight, at 7 oz of milk chocolate ingested, you will probably see vomiting and diarrhea (within 1-4 hours); ingestion of 7 oz of dark chocolate may lead to death. He probably ingested something in between and you may see vomiting, diarrhea, heart rhythm disturbances and seizures. This really depends on his metabolism and how much he really ate, but as I said above, it's best to be safe than sorry.

Do the following:

1. Feed him 2 slices of wheat bread.
2. 3-4 minutes later, give him 2 tablespoonfuls of hydrogen peroxide by mouth (turkey baster?) and walk him around the house for 5-10 minutes (no running/jumping)
3. If no vomiting, repeat the dose of hydrogen peroxide and walk around again.
4. If he vomits up, you should see some chocolate in the vomit; if no vomiting, I would recommend going to an emergency clinic to have him evaluated and determine need for treatment.

Please let me know if you have any other questions and best of luck!
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks loads...she has been vomiting...and drinking water...Question: How long will she continue to vomit? It has been 1 1/2 hours and she is still bringing up chocolate!

Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, late response here... I'm sure she is already back to normal, she should have stopped vomiting within 2 hrs or so, but may be longer. Please let me know if she is still not well. Glad she got rid of the chocolate!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You are right on...she stopped at about 2 hours 10 minutes! and this morning she was back to being a normal fun loving dog. Thanks again for your help...
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 3 years ago.
Glad to hear it! Take care.