VetCares
VetCares, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  10+ yrs DVM in small animal practice, including work with rabbits and pocket pets
51052018

Why does my dog have strong fishy breath

Why does my dog have strong fishy breath?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  VetCares replied 3 years ago.

VetCares :

Hello and thanks for posting. I'm Dr. A and I'll try to help. Is this a sudden change for Schmidty? How is he acting otherwise?

Customer :

He has a wet, cold nose and acts fine. Is eating, drinking, going to bathroom, outside.

Customer :

Are you still there?

VetCares :

yes, I am, sorry

VetCares :

no increase in drinking amount?

Customer :

No, normal

VetCares :

It is most likely that this is dental related, though I do appreciate that it is hard to look in his mouth

VetCares :

but first the obvious--no way he could have found a dead fish and rolled in it or eaten it?

Customer :

Sounds like I should take him to Vet for a visit. His teeth are white, clean no tartar.

VetCares :

a lot happens subgingivally-very hard to appreciate on a quick look.

VetCares :

definitely mouth, not ears?

VetCares :

not skin?

VetCares :

Is this an acute change? o something that has been increasing for awhile?

Customer :

Not ears, mouth area; that's why we thought it was in his beard and bathed him. Not beard.

VetCares :

do you have a cat?

Customer :

No, he's not ever had especially bad breath; doggie breath

Customer :

No cats!

VetCares :

lol-- wanted to eliminate eating out of the box.

VetCares :

so this is a sudden change or a gradual thing?

Customer :

Got it! :}

Customer :

Seems to have happened suddenly or suddenly that we notice!

VetCares :

ok. I do think it is worth getting him in to have your vet evaluate him. the big question that I have is whether this is more in his mouth vs. breath. Sometimes changes in breath are suggestive of metabolic disease. Schnauzers are a bit over-represented for diabetes and they can get a ketone smell to their breath. i don't appreciate the smell as fishy, though. This too is all lower on my list given taht he otherwise seems pretty happy

VetCares :

but a lurking infected dental pocket wouldbe my best guess from here

Customer :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX him to see our Vet tomorrow.

VetCares :

you are most welcome-- I wish you all the best. happy Holidays too! - Dr. A

Customer :

Merry Christmas!

VetCares :

please do click on accept as it is the only way the site credits me--thanks!

VetCares :

:)

VetCares, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 10+ yrs DVM in small animal practice, including work with rabbits and pocket pets