Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

what should I do if my dog just ate some fudge

what should I do if my dog just ate some fudge?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the question.

I will be very pleased to try and answer your question but to enable me to do so with accuracy I need to know a little bit more information, so first can you tell me :

1. Roughly how much fudge did he swallow? Was this chocolate fudge?

2. How heavy is your dog? { pounds }

This is just a information request for which you have not been charged, I am online at present. I will answer your question shortly after receiving your reply.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

its cut into little rectangles roughly 1" thick and 2" long and it kind of tasted like peanut butter w/ vanilla and a little bit of chocolate taste. i didnt make it so im not quite sure whats all in it. He weighes 6-7lbs.

Thanks for the quick reply,

Just one more question .... Roughly how many of these rectangles of fudge might he have swallowed?

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
just one
Thanks for the quick reply,

Good news! : Fudge is non toxic to dogs with the exception of what is clearly chocolate fudge with a high chocolate content. Given what you have told me so far I would not be concerned in the slightest and the chances are that this will not affect your dog in any way. The worst that can happen would be a mild transient gastro-enteritis caused by a sudden intake of rich foods.

Even if this was chocolate fudge the small amounts of chocolate involved would very likely not affect your dog.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS