CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

My dogs skin on his belly has red spots like blood under the

My dogs skin on his belly has red spots like blood under the skin.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

When did you notice these?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
one week ago. l large one and several smaller ones. but they started fading and went away within 3-4 days. but today I noticed an even larger one. and a few smaller ones.
If you look at the gums or the inside of the ears, are there similar blotches?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no red blotches in ears... just a little dry and flaky on underside of ear flap. there is one little bitty red spot above one tooth... not positive about it
Understanding that at times, a diagnosis over the internet is difficult, your description of, " red spots and blotches on the belly and possibly gums - this has me concerned.

I am very concerned that there may be a problem with the dog's clotting system, most notably the platelets.

Immune Mediated Thrombocytopenia is a possible cause that I am concerned about. In general terms, this means that the immune system is destroying the body's platelets. This is usually caused by either an infection, the immune system being out of control, or even cancer can do this.

When the platelets are not there, or too low, you can see signs such as you describe, with the medical term being, "ecchymosis." If you look at the gums in the mouth, red dots (called petechia) may also be there.

Here is a detailed link which may help:

As I said, yes - there may be other causes. Needing to be cautious, I would recommend that you bring your dog to the veterinarian as soon as possible for bloodwork.

Again - yes - this could be a simple skin infection, but over the internet I must be cautious when guiding you.

I hope this information helps and guides you!
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.