Dr. K
Dr. K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian

My dog is Shaking and constipated with loss of appetite

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. K replied 5 years ago.

When was the last time that Max had a bowel movement?
Was this BM normal?
Is he constantly straining to defecate without success?

Dr. K
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yesterday, but he has had difficulty for about 5 days, mostly without success
Expert:  Dr. K replied 5 years ago.
Is he actively posturing like he is trying to defecate...and straining?
Was the BM he produced yesterday very hard and dry looking?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, My son said he is pumping his tail as if he is trying , as far as the look, my son is not home at this time.
Expert:  Dr. K replied 5 years ago.
When was the last time that he ate anything?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
he had chicken and rice today
Expert:  Dr. K replied 5 years ago.
You mentioned that he had loss of appetite...when did he lose his interest in eating?

How much is his appetite down per day?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
About a week and a half ago, thought it was something to do with the new dog (since Sept), My son came home and said the dog didn't go to the bathroom yesterday. he usually eats aprox.2 cups twice a day now he is eating 2 cups about every 1 1/2days
Expert:  Dr. K replied 5 years ago.
The at-home treatment for constipation is some canned pumpkin. You can mix a couple of tablespoons of this in with his regular food. Be sure that you buy 100% pure pumpkin, and NOT pumpkin pie filling. Most dogs will produce a BM within 12 hours of this treatment. It is also important that you encourage him to drink plenty of fresh water.

If your dog is still having problems after this time, then he should go to the veterinarian for an examination and an enema. Please do not dry to administer an enema designed for human use to your dog at home, as most of these OTC enemas are very harmful to dogs.

I hope that this information is of help to you, and I wish you the best of luck with your dog. If you have any further questions about this matter, please just let me know and I would be happy to address them for you. If not, then please click on the "accept."

Dr. K
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This is not telling me why he might be shaking, we were talking with a vet and they suspect diabetes or perhaps lyme
Expert:  Dr. K replied 5 years ago.
Shaking is a very nonspecific sign. Shaking is most commonly caused by anxiety and/or pain or discomfort. If he is constipated...this could be why he is shaking.

If the shaking does not resolve after you know that the constipation has been alleviated, then he must be seen by a vet for a physical examination to determine why he is so uncomfortable.

One cannot really assume something like diabetes or lyme disease, based solely on shaking. This makes no sense. There are many symptoms for these diseases...but shaking, is really a nonspecific signs that is seen with dogs for any reason that can cause them to "not feel well."