Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

I noticed a small round lump under my dogs right ear that

Customer Question

I noticed a small round lump under my dog's right ear that is the size of a macadamia nut. It feels firm to the touch and I can roll it around a bit under the skin. It doesn't seem to be painful to the toch and it has a very small red area about the size of a pin point. What are some possible causes of this and treatments? Is there anything I can do at home before taking her to see a vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 years ago.

A lump in the skin can be a tumor, cyst, abscess or if we're a little deeper in a different area - a lymph node. More can be learned about this mass by having your vet examine it. They can palpate it and get a better idea of its cause. Most likely the best information will come from placing a needle in it and getting a sample to look at under the microscope. This is a very quick and easy procedure. It is done with a needle the same size as that used for vaccines.

Depending on what type of cells / materials are viewed under the microscope, they then can give their best recommendation as to what to do next. If this aspirate doesn't give a good answer or no answer (which can happen infrequently), they might recommend surgical excision of the mass to determine what it is. This could be also curative as well.

Hopefully this mass is a benign lession like a lipoma or a cyst. This isn't something that you have to rush to the ER clinic to tonight for, just get in early in this coming week and your vet will be gland to help you out.

Here is a good link on lipomas.

Hope this helps,