Dr. Louis Gotthelf
Dr. Louis Gotthelf, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years as a small animal veterinarian in a clinical practice and a skin and ear clinic
1348006

Watery lump on left side of my dogs belly

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Louis Gotthelf replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

How long has this lump been there? How big is it?

Customer :

Well, I just notice it today. it is the size of a tangerine

Customer :

but flatter. and it is watery.. it is just above the dogs penis

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

That's pretty big for it to just have showed up. This could be from some kind of injury like a fight wound or a puncture. It could be filling with blood. It could be something like a hernia. Can you push it back in?

Customer :

hmm...there are no marks or buising under the belly...I will check to see if I can push it back

Customer :

nope, Can't push it back at all..

Customer :

when he is standing it is flabby, and seem watery, When I checked it then it hard and more like the size of a egg.

Customer :

weird.. I am thinking it is a cyst of some sort.

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

Then I would recommend having it checked. The vet may put a needle into it to see if it is blood, pus, or just serum. Then they can tell you what needs top be done. If it is hard, it could be a lymph node. Are both of his testicles in his scrotal sac?

Customer :

well he is fixed. So they are taken out.

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

That rules that out!!! Does it seem to be painful when you are manipulating it?

Customer :

not at all...it doesn't bother him at all..

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

He needs to be checked to see what this could be. Dogs get tumors, like fatty lipomas that will feel like that, but they don't usually show up fast like this one.

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

If it is a cyst, then it needs to be drained out.

Customer :

okay