Doctor Jeff
Doctor Jeff, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Veterinarian and practice owner with 12+ years experience.

Is olive oil good for a dog with constipation

Hi, I am Dr. Jeff. I will try to help you. Please feel free to follow up if any more information is needed. Olive oil may not help too much. If you are sure that Chuy is constipated a little canned pumpkin or milk can help loosen things up. It is not uncommon for a dog with loose stools to posture like they have to go, but nothing comes out. Very often, owners will mistake this for constipation. If you have noticed loose stools, you may see success with a 1/2 teaspoon of kaopectate or a 1/4 tablet of Immodium AD twice daily. This can help firm up the stools and help with the urgency (and posturing) to poop. If things are not improving, I would seek veterinary attention and bring a stool sample for a parasite screening. I hope this helps and gives you direction.

Dr. Jeff

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
gave puppy a treat before feeding this morning little while later puppy looked lethargic and whining when put down also when stomach is rubbed. but have noticed a lack of appetite lately

He does sound like he is dealing with a little abdominal pain. I would not use any of the treatments I suggested until you see the nature of the stools. If you want to soothe the GI tract you can use a 1/2 teaspoon of maalox 2-3 times daily. It may also help to maintain hydration and nutrition with a 50/50 mix of pedialyte and water. Everything works better with a good hydration. I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sorry gave him a little milk , won't hurt him will it ?

Milk is fine. I meant the Immodium or keopectate. If he really is constipated, I don't want to make it worse. If you have the maalox, give it a try and watch the nature of the stools.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what should a dogs normal body temprature be? and is maalox the same as philips milk of magnesia

MOM and maalox are close enough, so if you have some, that can be used. The typical body temp is around100-102.5. This can vary depending on the individual, stress,etc. When I see dogs with a mild gastritis or enteritis (inflammed stomach or intestines) I see very mild fevers around 103.0-103.5.