Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Large bump on my dogs back leg

Customer Question

my dog has a large bump on her back leg it looks like it is filled with blood or something it has been getting bigger in the last 3 days and darker. i dont have any money literally right now and i cant take her to a vet. i do however have probably 20 clavamox 62.5mg pills. from a prior vet visit. i also have 2 temaril-p tablets, and 7 and 1 half rimadyl 25 mg chew-ables. she is about 6 months old and around 50 pounds can you help me please
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer.

This lesion may be a hematoma from playing too hard and bruising this area. the best thing to do is to apply hot compresses to this area every 4 hrs. This will help draw any infection to the outside. Once it opens, flush it with peroxide and apply Neosporin to this area every 8 hrs. If your dog is still eating and active, she will not need antibiotics or the other medications. This will resolve with the treatment that I have described.

Good Luck!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it is on her back paw we are not doubting you but how would that happen on her back paw from just playing.and just to let you know it is farely hard. and she is messing with it alittle like it is irritated. thank you for helping us though
If this is on the bottom of the paw, this may be caused by some irritant that she stepped on or she has hit it on something. If it feels hard, this may be caused by scar tissue from an injury,. It does not sound serious but treat it with the compresses just in case...it will not hurt.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
im sorry i didnt say very clearly where it was. it is on the top of her back paw. it looks like a giant blood red zit about the size of a dime and sticks out about a quarter of an inch.
This may be caused by a staph infection which is common in younger dogs....try the hot compresses....I believe that this will resolve this.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what do i do if it gets worse. i dont have the money for a vet right now is there anything i can do and thank you so much i will keep up with the hot compresses

All you can really do is to keep treating it until it resolves. If he starts licking at it too much, give him benadryl at 1 mg per pound of his weight every 12 hrs. The licking will make it worse....