Dr. Susan Hall
Dr. Susan Hall, Veterinarian
Experience:  14 yrs as veterinarian, special interest in internal medicine and ultrasound
21480539

my dog has joint pain. what can I give her

my dog has joint pain. what can I give her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Susan Hall replied 3 years ago.

Dr. XXXXX XXXXX :

Hi this is Dr. XXXXX XXXXX. I hope I will be able to help you today. How much does she weigh and how often did you give the tramadol?

Customer :

I gave her one this morning at about 8:30, then another around 4:30 this afternoon. She weighs 55 lbs. She occasionally has joint pain, and woke up with it this morning.

Customer :

Thank you for your help, Dr. Hall.

Dr. XXXXX XXXXX :

That is an appropriate dose for a dog of her size. You can give it up to 3 times daily as needed for pain. There are a lot of medications and supplements that can help also. I use a product called Phycox JS on my older pets everyday and it really seems to help them be more mobile and have less pain. You also have a food made by Hill's Science Diet called JD or they just came out with a less expensive food called joint mobility that you can get at pet stores instead of having to go to your vet. Also keeping her active and in good shape will help so keep to a regular exercise routine such as walking or swimming if you are in a climate that permits.

Customer :

Thank you Dr. Hall. Just one more question: If I run out of medication for her this weekend, is aspirin effective for a dog?

Dr. XXXXX XXXXX :

I wouldn't mix aspirin in with the tramadol, it can cause GI bleeding and might really mess things up. If it looks like you are going to run out of medication I would 1/2 every other dose or if you are real short then 1/2 the pill completely to get you through the weekend. You don't have to give it 3 times per day unless you think she needs it. Sometimes twice is enough.

Dr. XXXXX XXXXX :

Does that make sense?

Dr. XXXXX XXXXX :

I need to log off now but I will check back in a little while to see if you have anymore questions. If you are happy with my help please hit accept and give me feedback to help me with future cases.

Customer :

Yes, that makes sense... Thank you for your help. Have a wonderful Holiday.

Dr. Susan Hall, Veterinarian
Experience: 14 yrs as veterinarian, special interest in internal medicine and ultrasound