Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.
19741892

What are the advantages/disadvantages of intravitreal gentamicin

Customer Question

What are the advantages/disadvantages of intravitreal gentamicin injection or total eye removal in a 5 year old cocker spaniel with glaucoma. The sight is totally gone in this eye.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 6 years ago.

The down side to the injections is that it may not work and the glaucoma and pain will remain. One injection may also not be enough for long term control. The up side would be the fact that it is less invasive and less painful. Eye removal is a more common procedure. It eliminates the glaucoma problem once and for all. The down side is that general anesthesia is needed, the procedure takes some time and thee will be some degree of post op pain. The eye is already painful so, there may not be any noticeable changes in degree of pain. Most dogs do very well after surgery and heal quickly. The other plus is that once the eye heals, eye meds are no longer needed.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

This is helpful. But I was told that the pain would go away with the injection. So you're saying that my dog may still be in pain even after the injection and that the glaucoma could get worse?

Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 6 years ago.
The goal of the injection is to reduce the glaucoma and there by the pain. There is no guarantee it will work. If it does, it may not be a permanent fix and repeat injections could be needed down the road. If it works 100%, the eye may not need further treatment at all. If the glaucoma remains or comes back in the future, another injection or eye removal will be needed. It is certainly less invasive to try the injection and hope for the best results but I would not say there is a 100% success rate for the treatment.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I could try the injection first and if it is successful, fine. But if not I could then have his eye removed if I have to. Is this a reasonable way to deal with this?
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 6 years ago.
That is the path I would take. If the injection works, the eye will start to atrophy some. The injection is supposed to be similar to a chemical burn where it destroys the cells producing the intraocular fluid. If it works, the fluid volume of the eye will decrease and the eye will shrink. If it fails, the glaucoma will persist. You should know if it has been successful fairly quickly after it is done. It is the easiest way to treat the problem but has the least predictable outcome for success.