Dr. Goodall
Dr. Goodall, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS and MRCVS

My pug seems to have a sore throat, isnt eating only drinking

My pug seems to have a sore throat, isn't eating only drinking water what over the counter medicine can I give her.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Goodall replied 3 years ago.

aegoodall :

Hi there I'm Dr Goodall and I'd like to help

aegoodall :

Is Missy on any medications or have any medical history at all?

aegoodall :

Is she vaccinated and up to date with worming ?

Customer :

no to both, again no she hasn't had her vaccination in about a year

aegoodall :

Ok, has there been any vomiting or diarrhoea? How much would you say she is drinking? More than normal?

Customer :

no vomiting or diahheoa, no she seems to be drinking about the same

Customer :

are u still there

Customer :

??no vomiting or diahhoea and is drinking about the same,

Customer :

Are you still with me

Customer :

You know what I don't have all day to wait for your answer so don't you dare bill me for nothing.

aegoodall :

Sorry about that I was in a consult with a client. I'm free now to chat away of you still want!

aegoodall :

Does missy seem any more lethargic than normal? Still happy to go out on walks?

Customer :

Just like to know what I can give my pug to help her with her sore throat.

aegoodall :

Ok what exactly makes you think its a sore throat? Not eating can be for a variety of reasons, for example nausea

Customer :

no she just is laying around and not a playful as usual

aegoodall :

Does she resent you opening her mouth at all?

Customer :

tried once and she just turned away

aegoodall :

Any coughing/sneezing/gagging?

Customer :

a little bit of gagging, when I give her table food she just drops it and walks away

aegoodall :

Right ok, now if you look at her teeth, is there any yellow tartar covering them? Do the gums above the teeth look red? Does she have bad breath?

Customer :

no tartar on teeth gums above are really red and breath is ok

aegoodall :

Causes of pain in the mouth can indeed be due to sore throats - pharyngitis/laryngitis, but the fact that your dog is not eating is a little more suspicious than just a sore throat in my opinion. If the gums do look very red (a normal colour is salmon pink) then it is likely that your dog has gingivitis. This certainly can be painful, and could be an indicator of other dental problems which you can't see easily by yourself.

Customer :

so what do I need to do.

aegoodall :

Other causes of not eating may be gastrointestinal upsets (upset tummy). You could try giving her some gaviscon (sucralfate at 2.5mls twice daily) for the next few days - this is a gastroprotectant and may settle her tummy if it is a GI problem.

aegoodall :

As long as she is not vomiting then you could also give some aspirin - a 75mg tablet for a pug twice daily. This may help with any pain in her mouth.

Customer :

ok is that it? if so thank you so much

aegoodall :

If she is not eating by tomorrow, or if she becomes increasingly lethargic, and stops drinking then I would advise taking her to your local vet. It probably would be a good idea to get her teeth/gums checked soon even if she does improve as she may well have some gingivitis that needs antibiotics.

aegoodall :

Hope this has helped, and again I appologise for the delay at the start!

Customer :

It has helped and again I thank you so much, sorry it I sounded rude didn't mean to, just wasn't sure what happend and that's alright for the delay just thought I lost you.

Customer :

Thanks again and you have a great day.

aegoodall :

No problem, hope Missy is eating again soon.

aegoodall :

You too!

Customer :

Thanks me to and if not will get her to our vet

Dr. Goodall, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS and MRCVS