Steve O.
Steve O., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have 20 years of canine clinical and surgical experience
31531426

my dog is acting sick hiding under the desk, yelping when

my dog is acting sick: hiding under the desk, yelping when i pet him, shivering...he just had his immunizations today, and i'm wondering if the two have anything to do with each other and what i can do if anything

Steve O. :

HI,I'm Dr Steve

Steve O. :

Dogs can have mild reactions to vaccinations. They can show up as low grade fever which can cause a shiver to happen. The fever and reaction can make dogs nervous and apprehensive. Typically a vaccine reaction will subside in 6-10 hours. If he isn't back to normal by tomorrow morning you should have him examined by your vet to be sure that there isn't anything else going on. In severe reactions, a dog can have facial swelling that may cuses breathing difficulties.If you notice him having any trouble breathing, you should take him to an ER vet clinic immediately. If he is ok tomorrow morning then it was likely a vaccine reaction that has subsided. You should tell your vet about this even if he is normal tomorrow so they can put a note in his record to be aware of him having a reaction. He may have another reaction the next time that he is vaccinated.

Steve O. :

I hope this has helped. If it has would you please click the accept button so I may receive credit for my answer. Thank you and good luck . I will check later ot see if you have more questions.

Steve O. :

I see you are online.

JACUSTOMER-1xiz3zo3- :

i am...

Steve O. :

How is he doing now?

JACUSTOMER-1xiz3zo3- :

he came out from under the desk and joined me when i got in bed...but he's still shivering. He is a chihuahua jack russel mix, so he shivers a lot anyway just from being cold, but this shiver is more jerky

JACUSTOMER-1xiz3zo3- :

and i'm not really touching him

Steve O. :

I have had clients use benadryl at 1 mg per pound bodyweight orally to help relieve allergic reactions.

JACUSTOMER-1xiz3zo3- :

so it's likely it could be from the vaccinations? are the vaccination shots? oral? if they're shots, does the dog sometimes feel tender on his skin around where they gave it?

Steve O. :

They are shots and a dog can be tender where the shot was given and some dogs are so apprehensive after getting the shot that even touching them somewhere else makes them nervous because they may think they are getting another shot

JACUSTOMER-1xiz3zo3- :

that makes sense

JACUSTOMER-1xiz3zo3- :

where do they give the shot?

Steve O. :

If its a vaccine reaction he should be better tomorrow. The shots are given either between the shoulder blades up around the collar area or in the rear leg.

JACUSTOMER-1xiz3zo3- :

now you said the reactions usually subside in 6-10 hours...i took him to the vet at 11:30 this morning and all of these symptoms are just happening now.

JACUSTOMER-1xiz3zo3- :

okay. when i touched him on his upper back was when he yelped, so that is probably why

Steve O. :

In some dogs the reaction can be delayed, but once the symptoms start they can last for 6-10 hours as a rule.

JACUSTOMER-1xiz3zo3- :

oh gotcha

JACUSTOMER-1xiz3zo3- :

okay...i guess that's it then. Thanks so much for your help! I was worried. You've put my mind at ease

JACUSTOMER-1xiz3zo3- :

I really appreciate it

Steve O. :

Another possibility is that if he gets very active, he could have pinched a nerve in his back or neck that is giving him some discomfort and his symptoms may be related to that. The vaccine reaction possibility is because he had vaccinations today and he is acting like a reaction. If something else is ghoing on and he isn't better by morning then he will need to be examined to see what else is happening

Steve O. :

The best thing for now is to wait and see how he is by tomorow.

JACUSTOMER-1xiz3zo3- :

okay. he's sleeping now and he's stopped shivering which is a good sign. I'll see how he is in the morning

Steve O. :

ok have a good night and thanks for the question.

JACUSTOMER-1xiz3zo3- :

thanks for the answer :)