How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 19122
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

dog ate hearing aid battery two hours ago. please advise

Resolved Question:

dog ate hearing aid battery two hours ago. please advise
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the question.

I will be very pleased to try and answer your question but to enable me to do so with accuracy I need to know a little bit more information, so first can you tell me :

1. What type of battery was this? for example number 10 in the yellow pack?

2. How heavy is your dog { Pounds }

This is just a information request for which you have not been charged, I am online at present. I will answer your question shortly after receiving your reply.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
#12 battery dog weighs about 20 pounds bichon male instead of wesrley ,sorry friends dog .battery probably dead.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the question.

While I cannot diagnose this over the internet I can tell you the following :

If two hours have passed it may be possible to retrieve the battery by inducing vomiting, for the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best. LINK. While this is best done within one hour of swallowing objects it is still worth a try.

1. I have dealt with this situation a couple of times in the past and I use a hearing aid myself so I know just how big these batteries are. The chance are that a small object like this will just pass straight through your dog's intestinal tract and not cause any damage. You should check the dog's faeces each day to make sure it has passed OK.

2. However where these batteries are trapped in the intestinal tract they can cause damage by generating an electrical charge and damaging the tissue, this would be less likely with a dead battery.

3. You may be able to call the 24-hour National Battery Ingestion Hotline at(NNN) NNN-NNNN(call collect if necessary) for further advice. This a " human service " but they may advice you.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Dr Scott Nimmo and 3 other Dog Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you