DrChristineM
DrChristineM, Veterinarian
Experience:  6 years in small animal medicine treating dogs and cats.
23497452

What causes the reddish/brown stain under the tail and around the anus of creamy coloured

What causes the reddish/brown stain under the tail and around the anus of creamy coloured poodle and how do you stop/prevent it occurring
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrChristineM replied 3 years ago.
Does Louie lick at this area?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I suspect so but i have not actually seen him do it.Before a recent clip he had quite a lot of red stain around his mouth
If he does lick at the area, the staining is from a pigment in the saliva. (The same reason for the staining around the mouth.) There is nothing that can get rid of the pigment, and there is no harm in it, it is purely cosmetic. You can try cleaning the area with peroxide, but the staining can be difficult to remove.

I hope this helps, please let me know if I can answer any other questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you.But how do I prevent it from happening.he has ahd this problem several times over the years
If he is licking, the only way is to prevent him from licking. He would have to wear an e-collar or other device to stop that. Since the problem is purely cosmetic, I don't think making him wear an e-collar would be fair!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I agree that putting a collar on him would be unfair.I need to know what is causing him to lick his rear area so i can hopefully fix him up
It could be just normal grooming behavior or it could be full anal glands which can be expressed by your vet or groomer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Souds like anal glands to me as it only happens occasionally.So I can better understand the issue,how/why are the anal glands "full" and how do you treat/prevent this from happeng.At the moment his back area is a very dark/reddish brown so i think it is troubling the little fellow
The anal glands fill when the stool passing by fails to properly empty them. This can happen with age, being overweight, or softer than normal stools. If it is happening because of soft stools, then you have to address that issue and figure out why (intestinal parasites, dietary issues, etc). Sometimes adding fiber to the diet can help (veggies, 1/2 tablespoon metamucil). Your vet can also empty the glands manually when you see him licking at the area, to relieve the pain and pressure. Here is a link with some more detailed information: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2090&aid=510
DrChristineM, Veterinarian
Experience: 6 years in small animal medicine treating dogs and cats.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will take him to the Vet shortly.Once the anal glands have been emtied is it likely that they will "fill" up again./again?
Yes, they can fill up whenever the stool doesn't empty them properly during a bowel movement. See my previous post for how to try to prevent this from happening.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You have answered all my questions
I hope the information is helpful!