alhdvm, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have 11+ years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I work on all species of animals.

my dog keeps licking his groin area making it very red and

my dog keeps licking his groin area making it very red and hot plus the area smells. tried antihistimines and shampoos but nothing works. vet has no idea whats causing it or how to prevent him licking and chewing.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  alhdvm replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,

Has your vet given you an Elizabethan collar to prevent the licking? No matter what treatment you provide it will absolutely not get better if he continues to lick at it.

Has he been on any oral antibiotics?

Have you changed his diet recently or moved to a new area?

Does he seem itchy all over or is he just bothering that one spot?

Dr. Hinson
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no i haven't been given a collar, he did have a course of antibiotics to no effect. i have not moved and i keep the carpets clean. he does scratch all over but the licking is making his skin smell
Expert:  alhdvm replied 5 years ago.
Ok. Well I would start with getting an Elizabethan collar. You can usually purchase them at the vet's office or you can buy one online:

Be sure it is long enough to go past his nose otherwise he will still be able to lick it.

He also needs to get another course of antibiotics.

Also, ask your vet for something called gentamicin spray. It is a topical spray that has an antibiotic and a mild steroid to stop the inflammation. I would use this as well.

It sounds like he has allergies so you may want to take him to a dermatologist to see if they can figure out what he is allergic to.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions!

Dr. Hinson