Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My dog has excessive salivation, runny nose, thirst and he

My dog has excessive salivation, runny nose, thirst and he just vomitted up the all the water he drank

Hello. Thanks for writing in.

How old is he?

How long has this been going on for?

Is there anything he could have gotten into (i.e.; chemical, plants, bugs, frogs, toads, lizards)?

If you look into his mouth, do you see any redness or sores on the tongue, gums, roof or back of the mouth?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He is 4 1/2 years old, this started about 2 hours ago. He was outside in our back yard..there are leaves and maybe some mushrooms back there..not sure about any frogs or toads...I looked in his mouth and dont see anything unusual..he also seems to be restless..he'll lay down for a minute then he'll get up a keep walking around.

Thanks for the information. It is most likely something he ate, such as a frog, toad, lizard, bug or plant. Some plants and certain toads (Bufo toads) can be very poisonous and cause a lot of other severe problems. Most of these ingestions will only cause some gastrointestinal upset and excessive salivation. In a case like this, I would try rinsing his mouth out with a little bit of water. A steady stream from a water hose for 1-2 minutes works best if he will tolerate it. Most cats won't last this long, so whatever you can do should help. Make sure his nose is pointed down so not to drown him. If the excessive salivation and restlessness continues, though, I would have your vet check him out ASAP. Some of these intoxications can cause more severe problems. Liver, kidney, pancreatic, gastric ulcer and inflammatory bowel disease issues can cause excessive salivation, but it is usually not so acute. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.