Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

My yorkie has been drinking a lot of water and after she drinks

My yorkie has been drinking a lot of water and after she drinks the water she throws it up. She won't eat her dry dog food. I have been making her turkey and rice, which she eats. She kept that down until last night she vomited some rice. She was acting normal and had bowel movements until last night and this morning. She is urninating. As a matter of fact, she is trained to ring a bell hanging on the door when she has to go out, but the past two days just urinates right on the carpet. At first I thought someone snuck her some table food on Thanksgiving, because she usually only eats dog food, but now I'm concerned. Should I bring her to see the vet???
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 years ago.

Absolutely, it is time for a vet visit.

With repetitive vomiting like this I am worried about a bad gastritis or even pancreatitis.

My primary concerns for vomiting include:

- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)

- Stomach or intestinal foreign body

- Something that was given to them (new food, new treat, human food)

- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also, not just diarrhea

- Toxin exposure would be less likely, unless you have reason to suspect exposure to a chemical.

- Less commonly, endocrine diseases like Addison's

Also, with a little Yorkie there is not a lot of room for error. She can quickly dehydrate and loss a high percentage of body weight with delay in treatment.

Well worth examination.

Good Luck

If there is anything I have not covered for you, please use the REPLY button, and I will happily continue to chat. I hope you have found my advice helpful or informative. Please remember to inform me if you "accept" or please click the "ACCEPT" button (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIBING MEMBER). It is greatly appreciated. Please excuse any delays in my responses, as I regularly attend to hospitalized patients and daily examinations.