Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

IS 14 TOO OLD FOR A DOG TO HAVE SURGERY FOR OPEN PYOMETRA SHE

IS 14 TOO OLD FOR A DOG TO HAVE SURGERY FOR OPEN PYOMETRA SHE HAS A HEART MURMUR
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 years ago.

Hi there and welcome to Just answer!! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

If this condition has been diagnosed, this has to be dealt with and surgery is the only way to resolve this condition. Your vet will run lab work to determine if Carly is a good surgical candidate, If the lab work is normal, then Carly, even with a heart murmur should come through this procedure well. There is always risk when they are older but the anesthesias that we use are very safe even for older dogs. I certainly would recommend this procedure as long as the pre anesthetic blood panel is normal and an EKG is used during the surgical procedure.

Good Luck!

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX