Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

Do you think the Skin-eze and DermaPaw products are safe

Do you think the "Skin-eze" and "DermaPaw" products are safe and effective? We have an a rescued pedigree chocolate male lab who scratches every hour, and definitely has no fleas. We have changed diets, (now on Natural Balance hypoallergenic kibble), use hypoallergenic shampoo and now resort to twice daily benedryl.
I am a nurse, so know that herbals are still drugs and can be dangerous if used incorrectly, so don't want to hurt our dog, just help him find relief!
Sandi Todd
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.

Hi Sandi,

Not harmful, as far as I am aware, but definitely, I do not feel they are at all effective. Especially, under these circumstances with more severe pruritus (itching).

I am more suspicious for a serious environmental (atopy) and/or food allergy.

Here is a TON of info about addressing both types of allergies, various treatment options, as well as, how to properly chase after food problems.

Without question, I really feel he would benefit from some steroids in the short-term to get comfortable. When yo read my info, you'll see why ALL treats must stop.

So, to rule-out food allergies you need to do a diet trial.
Summary: The primary protein in most dog foods is lamb, chicken, or beef. The primary carbohydrate is rice or corn. So, we need to change both. The most popular alternative diets are Venison and Potato, Duck and Potato, or Fish and Potato. It is available in prescription formulas (i.e. Science Diet D/D) or you can find some similar foods at the big pet stores like PetSmart or PetCo. Just make sure that when they say Venison is the "main ingredient" they don't sneak in other stuff like lamb meal or fish meal. Those would be poor choices. A non-prescription option would include Dick Van Patten's brand called Natural Balance. Keep in mind, holistic or all-natural foods are not necessarily any better when trying to remove a food allergy. Chicken is chicken, and rice is rice. When you perform a diet trial, you must stick with the food for 2-3 months to see if there is any benefit. NO OTHER treats or human food can be given during this time period.

Here is some more information about food allergies:

Food Allergies

INFORMATION ON SCIENCE DIET D/D, Z/D, and HYPOALLERGENIC TREATS:

SCIENCE DIET FOODS

.

Also, definitely read about ENVIRONMENTAL ALLERGIES (atopy). Some pets, suffer from both environmental and food allergies:

Atopy (environmental allergies)

If you want to actual diagnose what in the environment may be causing the allergy, you can do an allergy test. Now, you don't have to shave half the body and do the old grid test on the skin. There is now a blood test that looks for allergies to weeds, trees, grasses!, molds, even house dust mites. You can read more about it here:

Testing for Environmental Allergies

.

VARL allergy testing

If your veterinarian does not offer VARL, they may offer a comparable company to perform the blood test.

It is important to also recognize, once the skin is inflamed or has an odor, there is likely a secondary yeast or bacterial skin infection present. .

Skin Odor/Discharge

TREATMENT OPTIONS (A small representative list - some suggestions you may have already tried)

1. Steroids. Veterinarians will either give an injection that can last from hours to weeks, or send home oral steroids like prednisone or dexamethasone. Steroids can be safe if not used long-term (several months) and if used as directed by your veterinarian. Frequently, the oral steroids will be weaned down to the lowest dose necessary to keep the allergy suppressed.

2. Antihistamines. A prescription of hydroxyzine is common. Sometimes, over-the-counter Benadryl will help. However, for many allergies, antihistamines alone frequently are not good enough to control allergies. But, if your pet is already on steroids, they can help to reduce the necessary dose to keep the comfortable.

Benadryl can be given at a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight. Keep in mind, Benadryl tablets and liquids come in different sizes. So, an approximately 25 pound dog can get a full 25mg tablet or a half of a 50mg tablet. I usually avoid the liquid Benadryl in larger dogs (you would have to give too much of it). You can give Benadryl every 8-12 hours.

Benadryl

3. Essential fatty acid supplements. Definitely, if you plan to give an antihistamine long-term,

combine it with an EFA supplement. I prefer the veterinary products, which are already dosed for pets. Your vet

should carry a product on their shelf, or over-the-internet you can look for Aller G3, 3V caps,

EFA-z, or Derm caps.

4. Atopica. A immunosuppressive medication, that help regulate the way your pet's body reacts to allergens. Neat stuff. It is important to note that it can take several weeks before benefit is observed, and tends to be a bit more expensive than typical allergy treatments. Read the link below for more information. Although Atopica is not readily available, your veterinarian can order a generic cyclosporine. Not quite as good, but it is an alternative.

Atopica

5. Your vet should also carry some special sprays and shampoos designed for whatever skin condition your pet may have. One of my favorite product lines is called Douxo. They carry various shampoos designed to calm the skin, treat bacteria infections, and help with seborrhea (dry, scaly or scabby skin)

Douxo products

6. Lastly, oral antibiotics and/or anti-yeast medication, if indicated. Generally, your vet will recommend a simple skin cytology test to see what is on the surface of the skin. This should be inexpensive, and can be perform in the hospital. This is a key test especially when the skin is itchy, as secondary infections will actually exacerbate the degree of pruritis (itching) of your pet.

Especially in younger pets, never forget about mange (mites). Demodex is not contagious, however, scabies or sarcoptic mange is zoonotic. So, keep in mind, when ever someone mentions mange, it is important to distinguish between which mite. To diagnose if there are mites, your veterinarian can perform an easy skin scraping test in the hospital. It is not always 100% accurate, but a good start. It can be difficult sometimes to scrape out the mites.

Demodex

Scabies

Skin Scraping

This info will give you a huge heads up to work with your vet, challenge their recommendations, and to ask more question.

Best answer I can provide.

Hope that helps to guide your treatment.

Good Luck

If there is anything I have not covered for you, please use the REPLY button, and I will happily continue to chat. I hope you have found my advice helpful or informative. Please remember to inform me if you "accept" or please click the "ACCEPT" button (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIBING MEMBER). It is greatly appreciated

Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience: UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I do not see any skin lesions, bites or hives on his skin, other than his own bite marks. Would I be able to see any skin reactions if mites, mange or food allergies?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.

Nope.

Many of the skin changes are due to self-trauma or secondary infection.

Many vets misdiagnose mange because it looks a lot like allergies but they don't do the skin scrape test.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for all the info. I have been going through all the articles and now will start on your suggestions with the easier ones; i.e., change of diet, then onto the harder ones of diagnosis with blood tests, skin scrapings, etc.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.

You are welcome.

Remember, diet change can take months!!! before benefit is seen, so get some other supportive treatment in the meantime.

Good Luck