How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Elaine Your Own Question
Dr. Elaine
Dr. Elaine, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 1388
Experience:  B.S.; D.V.M.; Small animal emergency and general medicine for 26 years
24704774
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Elaine is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ate 20mg of Citalopram, what should I do She is a

Resolved Question:

My dog ate 20mg of Citalopram, what should I do? She is a mixbreed (XXXXX XXXXX, beagle, dachshund) weighing about 23lbs.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Elaine replied 6 years ago.

Hi there, this is Dr. Elaine.

 

When did she eat this?

 

How is she acting generally?

 

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She ate it about 20 minutes ago, and has been acting normal so far ...
Expert:  Dr. Elaine replied 6 years ago.

This is not a toxic dose.

 

Believe it or not, studies have been conducted in dogs, dosing them at 30 times the dose she ingested before negative clinical signs were observed.

 

Still, as with any drug, allergic reactions can look like an overdose of said drug, so signs of serotonin syndrome would be watched-for. Rapid heart rate, uncontrollable tremor or shaking, seizures.

 

Peak plasma levels occur within 4 hours, and taper after that, so any clinical symptoms not seen by then are unlikely to develop at all.

 

Kindly,

 

Dr. Elaine

Dr. Elaine and other Dog Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you