Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My 9 week old puppy has started to vomit and have diarrhea.

My 9 week old puppy has started to vomit and have diarrhea. She is still drinking water but is not interested in eating food at this point. She has had her first round of shots and is due for her second in a few days. Do her symptoms require an emergency visit to the vet or can we wait till morning? it is around midnight here.

If the vomiting/ diarrhea is constant or hourly, then I would go to an ER vet. If it's just every few hours or a couple times today, then I would just wait until your vet opens. You can also assess dehydration by pinching the skin over the back of the neck. It should tent up then fall back down. If it stays up, then she's pretty dehydrated and should go in sooner. You can also check her gums- they should be nice and moist. If dry and tacky, then the sooner the better to get her seen.

As for the cause, hopefully it's just a GI but or parasite. If it's Parvo Virus, always a worry in puppies with vomiting/ diarrhea- then usually 3-5 days of aggressive hospitalization is needed to get them over it.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.