Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

my dogs poop is yellow and runny, it was yellow and runny yesterday

my dogs poop is yellow and runny, it was yellow and runny yesterday but today a solid peice of poop also came out with it. What could this mean and what should i do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.

I am sorry to hear about Hercules.

My primary concerns include:

- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)

- Stomach or intestinal foreign body

- Something that was given to them (new food, new treat, human food)

- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also.

- Toxin exposure would be less likely, unless you have reason to suspect exposure to a chemical.

- Less commonly, endocrine diseases.

Absolutely, a fecal test should be performed.

Bring in a fresh poop sample to the veterinarian. Ideally, within a few hours. Request that it be sent "OUT" to the laboratory instead of being looked at in the hospital (more accurate that way). We are not interested in only worm eggs, but also checking for the very common microscopic bugs like giardia and coccidia. These types of parasites will not be cured with over-the-counter dewormers. Giardia can also be difficult to identify on routine fecal tests, so ask your vet if they always add a "giardia elisa" to the fecal test.

The vet can also prescribe medication like flagyl (metronidazole), an antibiotic with anti-inflammatory benefit in the intestinal tract, to get the bowels back on track.

Good Luck

If there is anything I have not covered for you, please use the REPLY button, and I will happily continue to chat. I hope you have found my advice helpful or informative. Please remember to inform me if you "accept" or please click the "ACCEPT" button (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIBING MEMBER). It is greatly appreciated

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Since its a sunday and no one is really open, Can i take him somewhere tomorrow? he is eatting normally but is there anything I should give him tonight to help him ? thank you in advance for your help
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.

Well, if not straining to defecate, not vomiting, no blood in the loose stool, and eating/drinking fine, you can wait (certainly, get in sooner if the symptoms do change).

Pepto-bismol can help with diarrhea:

Pepto-Bismol (NOT TO BE USED IN CATS)

Good Luck

Please remember to click "accept". I do truly appreciate it.

Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience: UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management