Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My dog chewed a prescription bottle of Benzonatate 200mg capsules.

My dog chewed a prescription bottle of Benzonatate 200mg capsules. I am not sure how many, if any he might have eaten. My dog is a black labrador/border collie mix weighing 80lbs. It has been about 30-45 minutes. He is acting fine so far. What should I look for? Should I take him to the emergency vet?

Hi, I am Dr. Peter and would like to help.

1- Do you have hydrogen peroxide?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I do.
Let's make him vomit to try and get the pills out if they are in the stomach. Need to move quickly; give him 3 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide orally. If he does not vomit within 5 minutes repeat it again. Do not give a 3rd time; let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Was only able to get about 1 tablespoon down but the has vomited. I checked the vomitus and did not find any evidence of the Tessalon capsules.

Benzonatate is one of the cough medicine we use; usually at doses between 25-100mg. Not seeing any of the pills in the vomit could mean either the pills were absorbed or he did not swallow it. Possible side effects include numbness of the mouth or tongue, tremors and even seizures. I would recommend to observe him, if you do not see any symptoms within the next 12 hours than he will be fine. But, if he begins to act agitated or tremors, have him checked by a veterinarian immediately.

If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

is it ok to let him eat his regular meal this evening (6pm PT)?

Can he have water?

Observe him closely while drinking and eating; if you notice difficulty grasping the food or drinking, remove the food and water for 12 hours. But, if he is fine, yes it is ok to eat and drink.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do not know how many pills were in the bottle but I do not think he ate many, if any. Hopefully was more interested in chewing on the cap. He continues to act "normal" -wanting to play fetch, etc. Thank you for your expertise!
Your Welcome.