Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College

My dog has bright red blood in her stool, and her stools are

My dog has bright red blood in her stool, and her stools are soft; initially they were diarrhea, now some soft and some non formed. She still eats and plays like normal, but now she stays in a squatting position after she's done and only a few drops come out; she recently had a rawhide (her last one I can tell you) and has a habit of trying to swallow large chunks and gags, so we take it away....could it be the rawhide? Should I wait another day or two, or take her in?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,

The blood is likely due to inflammation of the colon (lower large intestine) and is common in dogs with this condition (colitis). as long as she seems to be feeling well otherwise, has an appetite and is not vomiting, I would do the following:

1. Feed her small frequent small meals of bland diet: cooked skinless boneless chicken and cooked white rice in 1:3 ratio (one part meat, 3 parts rice) for 5-7 days the gradually switch to regular diet over another 5 days.

2. Give her 1 tablet of Immodium AD twice daily for 2 days. This will help improve stool quality.

3. Buy Culturelle from a drugstore (or another probiotic) and give 1 capsule once daily for 10-14 days. This will help restore normal intestinal bacteria.

She should get better in about 2-3 days; if she doesn't, gets worse or begins to vomit, please take her to see your vet.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Best of luck!