VetCares
VetCares, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  10+ yrs DVM in small animal practice, including work with rabbits and pocket pets

My dog will be laying down, then start whining like he is hurt

My dog will be laying down, then start whining like he is hurt and get up and start pacing. He has gone out a couple times and poooped and eaten grass/thrown up, but is still acting weird and is trembling.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  VetCares replied 3 years ago.

VetCares :

hello and thanks for posting

VetCares :

Oliver have any different foods/treats yesterday?

VetCares :

and was defecation normal? on no medications?

VetCares :

Unfortunately, you describe a constellation of pretty non specific signs (such is often the challenge of vet med) so while it sounds like there is a GI component to this, there also could be something musculoskeletal.

VetCares :

No way for Oliver to have gotten into any rodenticides, like De-Con, I presume?

VetCares :

Yorkies are a little over represented for pancreatitis as well, which we sometimes don't get to know what triggered it.

VetCares :

It says that you are in the US, but I don't know where in the US but my advice is going to be to get Oliver in asap to your regular vet.

VetCares :

while I can't know from what you are describing what systems are involved, there is little doubt that he is uncomfortable and that in itself justifies a vet visit. I wish you both well. -- Dr . A

VetCares :

I'll switch us to a Q & A format as it seems that you are not online or in chat. I will continue to monitor should you have further questions. -thanks! - Dr. A

Expert:  VetCares replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the information--I took Oliver to the vet yesterday, and they did a thorough examination of him, and found nothing wrong with him. They prescribed him some pills to stop the vomiting, and gave me some special canned food to help ease his tummy. Last night I put out the food for him, put about half the can in his dish, and he ate a little bit but not much. He still seems pretty out of it, but I have noticed he is trembling a little bit. Like I will be holding him, and I'll notice it is like he is shivering. It isn't constant, but is still happening sporadically today. Is this normal? He did have the "scary" vet trip yesterday, and got a shot, and plus hasn't eaten much, so I'm wondering if its normal for him to be shaky.
Expert:  VetCares replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the follow up on little Oliver. Did your vet do labwork and testing for pancreatitis? The other thing I want to be sure is ruled out is a disease that we call "the great imitator," meaning that it can present with symptoms that range from a general just not doing quite right, to a metabolic emergency. This is Addison's disease, which is a deficiency in steroid hormones.

I by no means want to be alarmist in any way, but there is a reason for Oliver's shakiness and I want to be sure that the possibilities are thoroughly explored especially as he still seems to be having bouts of shaking and is not eating well.

The other things to make sure were checked: A full neurological exam, including range of motion to make sure that it isn't a back or neck twinge, or anticipation of one, that is making him feel off. Anal glands. I know this seems odd, but sometimes dogs that have impacted anal glands or an anal gland absecess starting act as you describe. I think most of us vets have had the experience of suspecting xy or z, and it turns out that it was very uncomfortably full anal glands.. Keep me posted and i hope Oliver is back to his normal self as you read this.. Dr. A

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the reply. Last night Oliver didn't seem to be shaking at all, and did eat some of his food, but not much still. This morning though he got up about 6:30 and was whining, so I took him outside. He just peed a couple times, and brought him back inside, and he just laid down again, and I noticed he was doing the "shivering" thing again. I gave him his medicine (the anti-vomit) with a little bite of food, since he won't just take it, and he didn't really want the food. He's still acting really out of it this morning, and keeps crawling through under the bed--not hiding per se, just crawling under and back out again. He isn't hiding--wherever I am at in the house, he will come there as well, but just sits there looking at me, and seems very lethargic. For instance, right now, I am on the couch in the living room, and he just walked out here, walked by, looked at me, and walked away again. Do you think I should take him back to the vet? The other day they said they could do some blood work and x-rays if he didn't seem normal again, but from what I understand, they did a thorough physical exam and found nothing "alarming"
Expert:  VetCares replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I think that Oliver needs to be seen again. I am not disparaging your vet, but when I am here and you are there...I like to direct pet owners to the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA). On their site, there is a "find a vet" function into which you plug in your zip code. AAHA is a voluntary accreditation program that assures a standard of care and commitment and it is easily understood that an AAHA hospital will serve you well. It is kind of like triple AAA for motels, but a lot more rigorous. Again, there are plenty of vets that are excellent that do not work at AAHA hospitals, but in the absence of knowing your geographic area, I think an AAHA hospital is a safe bet re: getting Oliver a good check up. Best of luck- Dr. A

VetCares, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 10+ yrs DVM in small animal practice, including work with rabbits and pocket pets