Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

I just caught my dog eating coffee grounds and think she ate

Customer Question

I just caught my dog eating coffee grounds and think she ate a lot of them. What do I do? I know these are toxic for dogs.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 3 years ago.

This is Dr. Christian. Welcome to JustAnswer. How long ago did she eat them? How much does she weigh? How is she acting now?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She is about 54 lbs. She ate them 10 minutes ago and I estimate she ate two tablespoons. She is snoring on the kitchen floor asleep.
Thank you for the information. The good news is that at her size this amount of coffee grounds shouldn't be a problem. It could cause some intestinal upset. Caffeine has adverse effects on dogs and would cause hyperexcitability, shaking, tremors, excessive thirst/urination, and even seizures in high doses. Watch for these symptoms but it is very unlikely that they will occur. If they do occur then have her seen by a vet immediately. You can make her vomit by giving her 2 tablespoons of peroxide by mouth and repeat it in 10 minutes if necessary. Hopefully that will clear the coffee out of her system. If you have more questions please reply back.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
A friendwho used to be a paramedic said I could get ipecac and give her two tablespoons of this...is this equally okay?

Ipecac can actually be toxic to dogs. Peroxide is the best and safest choice. Here's a link about inducing vomiting:
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/how-to-induce-vomiting-emesis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
At most she ate 2-4 tablespoons...this is what was in the garbage...is this level lethal to dogs? I know you indicated that it was not ...just want to make sure I am not close to the lethal range or the range that could cause serious problems. Please clarify and thank you. Are there any risks assoc with giving the peroxide in your opinion? Also she is still sleeping...and its been about 20 minutes would she be experiencing discomfort already?
Peroxide can cause some stomach irritation but is used all the time for this sort of situation. It is definitely worth doing. That level shouldn't be lethal to her but could cause some serious stomach upset so the peroxide is still a good idea. It's too early to see any symptoms but the longer the coffee is in her system the less chance that the peroxide will work.