Karen Purcell
Karen Purcell, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  1992 Graduate Cornell School of Veterinary Medicine
14104846

My dog was scratched by a raccoon 10 days ago on his nose.

Customer Question

My dog was scratched by a raccoon 10 days ago on his nose. It was late at night and the raccoon was on the side of the house. The dog went around to inquire and I guess it started the raccoon and it scratched him before taking off. I cleaned the scratch with alcohol and neo-sporin. The dog was vaccinated with the 3 year rabies shot in April. I didn't give it much thought, but as time has gone on, I wonder if there is something else we should have done or should still do. Is my dog protected from rabies as long as he's been vaccinated? Thanks.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Karen Purcell replied 6 years ago.

The only way in which rabies can be transmitted is by a clinically ill animal transferring saliva to an open wound. Your dog having a scratch on its nose is at risk. The appropriate thing to do for the best prevention would be to get a rabies booster for your dog to activate the immunity from his regular inoculation. Call your vet to see about a booster as soon as possible.

Dr. Karen