Denise Colgrove
Denise Colgrove, Veterinarian
Experience:  Internship and residency at UCD, 47 years experience.
24683783

Around my dogs eye it has become red and hair loss is starting.

Around my dog's eye it has become red and hair loss is starting. He is also itching it alot, rubbing his face on that side on the carpet. what could be the cause?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Denise Colgrove replied 3 years ago.

Denise Colgrove :

Hi there,

Customer:

Hi Denise

Denise Colgrove :

There are several things this could be although the most likely is allergy. Dogs with Canine Inhalation Dermatitis or Atopy often experience itchy faces and hair loss around the eyes. They also usually have itchy feet in that they lick their paws a lot. Other allergies such as to food also can cause this. Are there any other itchy spots? Ringworm is a possibility although not common in older animals and Demodex mites are also a possibility. It would be best to go to your vet for skin scrapings to be sure it is not the latter two, then your vet can treat for Atopy and possibly do a change of diet as well to either a novel diet or completely non allergenic diet such as Hill's ZD to eliminate food allergy as the problem.

Customer:

I too think it is allergy and am wondering if it has something to due to the time of year, I seem to recall he was itchy this time last year when the leaves fell. He has licked his feet but I am not seeing any of that redness between his toes to indicate allergy in that area and no hair loss. Initially it looked like a surface wound, like he ran into a tree branch but not all around the lid of the eye it looks red and showing signs of hairloss. I was thinking of trying benedryl.

Denise Colgrove :

Benadryl at a dose of 1 mg per pound of body weight two or three times daily. If that doesn't work then try another antihistamine such as Tavist. I tab twice daily. also itching is less with that if you add the esential fatty acids to his diet these are available at you veterinarian's, one trade name isXXXXX you do not need a prescription for that.

Denise Colgrove :

It certainly sounds like Atopy from what you say as that often starts out seasonally.

Customer:

Ok, so he is about 75 1bs, so he should get 3 25 mg tablets at a time? Should I put anything on it topically for the itch? though I think that will cause him to rub his face more. Also thought about putting an Elizabethan coller on him to prevent him from rubbing his face. Can I get the Derm Caps at the local pet store, like PetSmart? Thanks!

Denise Colgrove :

Yes three 25 mg tablets. If he seems a little out of it on that you can cut back. No, at that area hard to put on a topical without it getting int he eyes. No on the E. collar, I think, unless he is traumatizing it. I am not sure if Pet Smart carries those, They may. Most vet hospitals have it out on shelves in the waiting room.

Customer:

Ok, I will try the benedryl first and see if I can get the Derm Caps. If he doesn't respond to that I will take him to his vet. He doesn't behave so well at the vet so if I can prevent the trip it is better for all. Hopefully, if it gets cold enough this will go away. Thanks for the tip, I appreciate it.

Denise Colgrove :

Great. I hope it does go away. It is good he is allready 6 so maybe he won't get as bad as some do who start at 2 years. over the years they get allergic to more and more. (Just what you wanted to hear) Ha!

Customer:

I know, I had a previous lab who developed a ragweed allergy when she was young. We always had to do the prednisone thing when ragweed started and then her weight would go up. It did seem to get worse as time went on but no need for allergy shots, though. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the benedryl works. If he sleeps a little more, that would be okay too. Thanks for the advice, he'll be happy to get some cheese with his pills!

Denise Colgrove, Veterinarian
Experience: Internship and residency at UCD, 47 years experience.