Dog Health Questions? Ask a Dog Vet for Answers ASAP
HI there --
How long ago do you suspect he ate these? and did it look like any of them were in the vomit?
it could've been a couple of hours ago. i cant see any chews but it definitely smells strongly of brewer's yeast, the ingredient of highest concentration.
Ok == another quick question --- what is the concentration of lysine (how many mg per chew ?) and how many chews did he eat Approximately?
and how big is your dog?
l-lysine 250mg/chew and it was a pretty new bag so ~120 chews. he is around 22lb
did nothing come up?
I'm sorry -- what was that abotu coming up?
250mg/chew, new bag ~120 chews. 22lb dog
Hold for a second while I calculate
Ok -- has his stomach totally emptied from the vomiting? --- in other words does the volume that has been vomited up represent the amount of chews? If it is a large quantity there is no need for induceing vomiting at home.
She is definitely into the range that produces kidney toxicity in dogs --
he's "created" a few puddles sporadically, but he did just drink water & then vomit about 5min later.
he threw up outside, in the bed, on the comfortor and now in the kitchen
Ok -- do you have an emergency clinic available to you?
no but i could contact our vet
very good -- there is one simple abstract from PubMed search engine on published papers --
yeah i saw it
thats what frightened me
would it be ok to wait a little. he is responsive & alert
I rechecked the numbers -- and found that your dog ate about 2700 mg per kg -- the rate used in this study was 4500 mg per kg for 3 days.
yes, it was well under but i was concerned d/t age, elapsed time
That level definitely produced lesions -- but there is nothing to prove that 2700 mg per kg would not do some limited damages. -- that is my concern as well. It may be wise to speak with your vet -- may want to forward link as it is not the most known toxin.
ok thank you for your help!
Hopsitalization may be necessary if the vomiting continues -- just to control that -- and also to give your vet a heads up on the renal failure issues --
It may not be enough -- but your vet may want to follow basic BUN and Creatinine levels -- renal function tests.
for about a week or two ... just to get a baseline and then compare if anything shows up.
should i monitor him for a while, he seems to throw up only when moving. so it hasnt been constant.
That way supportive treatment could be started. --- Additionally -- activated charcoal may have a place here -- it absorbes many toxins form the digestive tract -- that would need to be administered by your vet ASAP.
is it ok to wait until morning if things remain the same?
You may want your vet to adminster activated charcoal tonight -- but it will need to be yoru vet's call on this particular issue -- with vomiting -- it may not stay down -- but injectable meds could be given to control vomiting.
The potential for kidney toxicity is still there -- we are not sure of the exact amount it takes to produce this.
And kidney cells do not recover and repair well -- so damages tend to be permanent.
ok i will give my vets answering service a call & get in contact with our doctor tonight
A call to your vet is wise -- and they will help prevent any potential toxicity as necesary .
im mad at myself for allowing it to happen. i even jokingly asked our cats' vet what would happen if the dog ingested it when i bought it!
but thank you so much for your advice, i will get on it!
Sometimes -- these things just happen. My dog has pulled a number of these type things over the years --
Thank you -
oh i know, you put it out of the dogs reach but the cats knock it down to him.