Dr. BJ Hughes
Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed w/20 years of experience in private practice/teaching. Strong believer in educating owners.
31668627

i just read about a dog that ate ~90 vetri-lysine plus chews

i just read about a dog that ate ~90 vetri-lysine plus chews for cats. she induced vomiting almost immediately. my dog did the same (ate ~120 cat chews, 20lb dog) but i didnt look for a cause until after he started vomiting. is it too late to induce (more) vomiting via hydrogen peroxide? it could've been over an hour ago. he's obviously nauseated & just consumed alot of water but he is alert & responsive.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. BJ Hughes replied 4 years ago.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

HI there --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

How long ago do you suspect he ate these? and did it look like any of them were in the vomit?

Customer:

it could've been a couple of hours ago. i cant see any chews but it definitely smells strongly of brewer's yeast, the ingredient of highest concentration.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Ok == another quick question --- what is the concentration of lysine (how many mg per chew ?) and how many chews did he eat Approximately?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

and how big is your dog?

Customer:

l-lysine 250mg/chew and it was a pretty new bag so ~120 chews. he is around 22lb

Customer:

did nothing come up?

Customer:

guess not

Dr. BJ Hughes :

I'm sorry -- what was that abotu coming up?

Customer:

250mg/chew, new bag ~120 chews. 22lb dog

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Got it

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Hold for a second while I calculate

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Ok -- has his stomach totally emptied from the vomiting? --- in other words does the volume that has been vomited up represent the amount of chews? If it is a large quantity there is no need for induceing vomiting at home.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

She is definitely into the range that produces kidney toxicity in dogs --

Customer:

he's "created" a few puddles sporadically, but he did just drink water & then vomit about 5min later.

Customer:

he threw up outside, in the bed, on the comfortor and now in the kitchen

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Ok -- do you have an emergency clinic available to you?

Customer:

no but i could contact our vet

Dr. BJ Hughes :

very good -- there is one simple abstract from PubMed search engine on published papers --

Customer:

yeah i saw it

Customer:

thats what frightened me

Customer:

would it be ok to wait a little. he is responsive & alert

Dr. BJ Hughes :

I rechecked the numbers -- and found that your dog ate about 2700 mg per kg -- the rate used in this study was 4500 mg per kg for 3 days.

Customer:

yes, it was well under but i was concerned d/t age, elapsed time

Dr. BJ Hughes :

That level definitely produced lesions -- but there is nothing to prove that 2700 mg per kg would not do some limited damages. -- that is my concern as well. It may be wise to speak with your vet -- may want to forward link as it is not the most known toxin.

Customer:

ok thank you for your help!

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Hopsitalization may be necessary if the vomiting continues -- just to control that -- and also to give your vet a heads up on the renal failure issues --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

It may not be enough -- but your vet may want to follow basic BUN and Creatinine levels -- renal function tests.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

for about a week or two ... just to get a baseline and then compare if anything shows up.

Customer:

should i monitor him for a while, he seems to throw up only when moving. so it hasnt been constant.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

That way supportive treatment could be started. --- Additionally -- activated charcoal may have a place here -- it absorbes many toxins form the digestive tract -- that would need to be administered by your vet ASAP.

Customer:

is it ok to wait until morning if things remain the same?

Dr. BJ Hughes :

You may want your vet to adminster activated charcoal tonight -- but it will need to be yoru vet's call on this particular issue -- with vomiting -- it may not stay down -- but injectable meds could be given to control vomiting.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

The potential for kidney toxicity is still there -- we are not sure of the exact amount it takes to produce this.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

And kidney cells do not recover and repair well -- so damages tend to be permanent.

Customer:

ok i will give my vets answering service a call & get in contact with our doctor tonight

Dr. BJ Hughes :

A call to your vet is wise -- and they will help prevent any potential toxicity as necesary .

Customer:

im mad at myself for allowing it to happen. i even jokingly asked our cats' vet what would happen if the dog ingested it when i bought it!

Customer:

but thank you so much for your advice, i will get on it!

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Sometimes -- these things just happen. My dog has pulled a number of these type things over the years --

Dr. BJ Hughes :

Thank you -

Customer:

oh i know, you put it out of the dogs reach but the cats knock it down to him.

Dr. BJ Hughes :

I hope this information helps!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.
The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian

Dr. BJ Hughes, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Licensed w/20 years of experience in private practice/teaching. Strong believer in educating owners.