Dr. K
Dr. K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian
7189224

Can you give human over the counter diuretic to a dog

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. K replied 3 years ago.

Dr. K :

Why do you feel that your dog needs a diuretic?

Dr. K :

How much furosemide did you give, and when did you give it?

Customer:

She has CHF, she's was extremely bloated when we took her to the vet several months ago and was diagnosed with the above. At that time she had retained a huge amount of water. She is that big again. She is also on Vetmedin and euolapil (probably spelled wrong). Our vet is out of town, we most likely find a new one one Monday, but just thought we might be able to do somethig today. She got 3 doses of 40mg yesterday, and has had 2 so far today...it istn't working

Dr. K :

Was the furosemide hers or yours?

Dr. K :

Is the other drug she is on called enalapril?

Dr. K :

How much does she weigh?

Dr. K :

Hello?

Customer:

The furosemide is hers

Customer:

She weighs about 30 lbs

Customer:

It could be enalapril, the handwriting is hard to decipher

Dr. K :

If the furosemide is not working...then she is going to need to go to the veterinarian for further treatment. It is not safe to combine an OTC diuretic designed for humans, with the furosemide and other drugs.

Dr. K :

There is just too much going on here with all of these medications she is on.

Dr. K :

If she is having a lot of trouble breathing, unfortunately...she is going to need to see the vet. If your regular vet is not available today, I would take her to an emergency clinic.

Customer:

She seems to be fine with the breathing and we know she won't be with us much longer, we just wanted to make her comfortable. Thought the vet was the right way to go, but if something over the counter would work, we would do that as well. Thank you for your time.

Dr. K :

You are very welcome. I'm sorry that I can't recommend any other medication to give her. If you have any further questions concerning this matter, please let me know and I would be happy to address them for you. If not, then please click on the "accept."

Dr. K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 13 years experience as Veterinarian