Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

what caused mass in my dogs trachea obstructing her breathing

Customer Question

what caused mass in my dog's trachea obstructing her breathing?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 years ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. Is the mass actually in the trachea or around the trachea? Did your vet have a diagnosis for the mass? Was is actually a mass or swelling?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it is a white, swollen glob of tissue in the windpipe/trachea that left very little room to breathe. my vet doesn't know if it was an allergic reaction to something or laryngeal paralysis. it developed over a 24 hour period, i think. could it be trauma to the area? i'm not sure if it is a mass or swelling.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the information. I have one more questions for you, then I will address your concerns. Did your vet see the mass on x-ray, or was he able to see it looking at the opening to the trachea while under sedation?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
my vet lightly sedated her to look into her throat. no x-ray. no signs on the outside, other than her stressed breathing.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the information. There area few things to think about here. Although cancer in a 6 month old dog would be unlikely, stranger things have happened, so it still needs to be considered. An allergic reaction is possible, but it usually creates generalized swelling, not a white nodule. An abscess, either from an infection or foreign body is possible as well. A foreign body would be more likely than a bacterial infection. I am going to suggest something that is not seen or thought about often (including with myself). Oslerus osleri is a type of respiratory parasite that can create nodules in the trachea and lungs. It can cause a parasitic tracheobronchitis, and signs can look similar to a kennel cough or pneumonia. Usually, puppies are infected young by their mother. There isn't a lot about it on the web. This abstract might give you more inforamtion. It can be difficult to recover the larvae on a fecal exam. A transtracheal wash may help to get a diagnosis. I would probably start deworming with Panacur for 1 week and repeat in 3 weeks just in case. Having her airways scoped may be beneficial. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.