Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College

dog: has a grayish haze over his eye

Customer Question

my dog has a grayish haze over his eye. I know he needs to see a vet, but honestly I cannot afford it right now. I've read that he needs antibiotics.I was wondering if there was anything otc or maybe some human antibiotic ie. penicillin that I could give him?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 5 years ago.
Good evening,

I have a few questions:

1. When did this haze appear?
2. Does that eye look bloodshot or squinty?
3. What breed is Shaka?
4. Does he rub at that eye?
5. Is there any discharge?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He has had mucous around his eyes from time to time for about 2 months. I would just clean it with water. But in the last week it seems to be a haze on his eyeball. Ive rinsed it out with a eye rinse for dogs.
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 5 years ago.
Thank you; could you tell me what breed Shaka is, whether or not he rubs at the eye and if the eye looks bloodshot or squinty?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He is a pit bull. No he does not paw at it.
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 5 years ago.
Is there redness around the eye (bloodshot)?
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 5 years ago.
This information will help me answer your question better... dogs with bloodshot eyes may have different problems than ones without.. last question, I promise!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No redness
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no redness
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 5 years ago.

Based on what you've described (mucousy discharge and haze over the eye, with no redness or signs of other discomfort such as rubbing at the eye or squinting), this doesn't seem like infection or inflammation, so an antibiotic is unlikely to help; besides, you would need a special antibiotic ointment for the eye, which isn't something that's available over the counter.

I think you may be dealing with either of the following:

1. Glaucoma (increased pressure within the eye)
2. Cataract
3. Corneal dystrophy (gives the eye a hazy or bluish appearance)
4. Dry eye (lack of adequate tear production)
5. Old, healed eye injury

It's not likely that you'd be able to treat this successfully at home, unfortunately. If this is a cataract, corneal dystrophy or an old injury, it's unlikely that it's causing pain or discomfort and you can wait a week or so to see what happens. Glaucoma unfortunately is quite painful and results in blindness. Dry eye is treated pretty easily and also can lead to blindness if not treated.

My recommendation is to get eye saline drops at a drugstore (make sure there is nothing else in the ingredient list) and apply 1 drop into the affected eye 3-4 times a day without touching the tip of the bottle. This should help soothe and lubricate the eye until you can get him seen by your vet.

Hope this helps; please let me know if you have any other questions; best of luck!