Dr. Elaine
Dr. Elaine, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  B.S.; D.V.M.; Small animal emergency and general medicine for 26 years
24704774

Can I give my golden retriever tylenol with codeine, albuterol,

Customer Question

Can I give my golden retriever tylenol with codeine, albuterol, and benadryl? His breathing is slow and slightly labored. He won't eat and isn't up playing like normal. He has an area on his scrotum that looks like some type of burn. We are not sure what is going on with him. I want to try treating the symptoms before I take him to our vet who is 40 miles away. (I am a nurse.) Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Elaine replied 6 years ago.

Hi there, this is Dr. Elaine

Dogs cannot properly metabolize tylenol, so do not give it. The drug binds with hemoglobin and blocks oxygen transport.

Benedryl likely will not hurt him (25mg) but not do much either. Do not give it if he has any seizure history.

Do not give albuterol.

If he is breathing more rapidly from discomfort and anxiety therefrom, as well as possibly increased temp from inflammation/infection, then we don't want his body "geared up" any more with albuterol.

Kindly,

Dr. Elaine

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks but what can I do for his symptoms? His breathing is shallow and slow, he's not playing, and not eating and he has the burn-like sore on his scrotum. We were able to get him to drink some broth off chicken noodle soup then he drank A LOT of water but he started slobering. It was a lot thicker than usually and appeared to be trying to vomit but, to our knowledge, never did. He did get up and walk around some after he drank the soup and water. Again, what can I do for his symptoms; shallow, slow breathing and lethargy?

Any infection must be treated if present. Again, this would explain his symptoms. About the only thing that may help if fever is present is aspirin (325mg for a 65lb dog). I was under the impression you were on the way to the hospital and might be giving him the benedryl.

Dr. Elaine

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

My dog was poisoned. He died this afternoon. There was nothing that could have been done.

My prayers are with you.

Dr. Elaine

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you.
Take care.