Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

Do dogs know when they are dying If they can, what would be

Do dogs know when they are dying? If they can, what would be normal behaviour from them? Would they stay very close to their master or other family members and follow them wherever they go. Would they pace around the house like they were lost or not knowing what they want to do?

That's a tough question that nobody can really answer for sure. It does seem that some dogs will sense that they are dying and they tend to stray for the most part. Many will wander off and then lie down somewhere cool (if they have a fever) or warm (if their body temp is dropping).

I haven't found many that prefer to be right with the owner- they usually will stray off.

If you think your dog is dying, the best thing would be to get to a vet and have her looked at to see if there is anything that can be done and then euthanize if that is not the case. Euthanasia should be the last gift we give our dogs so that they don't have to die slowly. It's rapid, humane and painless- a peaceful way of going.

I hope this helps and I'm sorry you're in this situation.