Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My Jack russell has arthritis in one of her back legs she is

My XXXXX XXXXX has arthritis in one of her back legs she is 10 years old and weighs about 13 pounds, can I give her anything for the pain it is really hurting her as the weather gets colder?

Hi, I am Dr. Peter and would like to help.

1- Is she currently on any medications?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- Can you describe what is happening to her back leg?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She is not on any meds and doesn't have any pre existing conditions. She is in pretty good health and is very active. She will not put any pressure on that back leg and is licking the whole leg. She starts to do this when it gets cold. The leg is also shaking. I had her at the vet about 3 months ago and was told she had arthritis in all her legs, but that it wasn't bad. She seems to really be in pain when I tried to touch her leg she jumped and snapped.

I will recommend you speak to your veterinarian about putting her on arthritic medication like Rimadyl. In the meantime, you can give her buffered aspirin 5-10mg per pound body weight every 12 hours with some food. So, for a 13 lbs dog you can give one 81mg baby aspirin every 12 hours with some food. Try not to keep her on aspirin for more than a week as it can cause GI irritation. In addition, supplement with Glucosamine 25mg per pound a day long term. Glucosamine helps by promoting joint fluid; it takes about 4 weeks to see significant improvement.

If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter