Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

My dog is spitting up after drinking water

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 years ago.

Hi there and welcome to Just answer!! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This situation may be caused by a condition called Laryngeal Paralysis. This is where part of the Larynx is paralyzed and cannot keep water pr fluids from going into his trachea instead of the esophagus. If this is the problem, a surgical procedure will cure this.

It may also be that he gulps water too fast which stimulates a gagging reflex and vomits or feels like he has to vomit. For this, just make sure he only has small amounts of water or ice cubes.

have your vet examine Rocky to know for sure why this is happening...

Good Luck!!

Sincerely. DR. Loretta

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What tests are done to determine if he has this condition? How expensive is this procedure if this is what it is. Couldn't this just correct itself on it's own? Do dogs get this condition from a vomiting illness?
This condition is determined by endoscopy of the larynx and this will be between $200-500. This condition does not correct itself and actually may get worse. If this is not a total paralysis, the surgery would not be required. This is not caused by a previous vomiting episode.

The surgery is expensive if this is actually required but only your vet can tell you this....
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This spitting up after drinking water only started after his illness of vomiting 2-3 months ago. Could he have damaged anything from the vomiting? He couln't keep anything down for almost 24 hrs. So we held back the food and water till he could keep a little water down. Then put him on rice and grd. beef.
This vomiting comes from the esophagus which is not related to the larynx...this is not the source of the problem. Most often this condition, if this is the problem, is hereditary and may have been there all along but is only now getting worse to show symptoms.