Dr. Ann
Dr. Ann, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 20 years and a dog owner for 30 years.

My dog is whining and pacing around 12 hours after minor surgery.

Customer Question

My dog is whining and pacing around 12 hours after minor surgery. Is this normal? The vet said he would come home and sleep it off, he has not been asleep at all. He had a small growth removed from the top of his head. He had a bowel movement and is passing gas, which the vet said he would do, but he acts like he is in pain. He was not give any medication to take at home and was given a sedative and morphine for the surgery.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Ann :

Dear Linus's parent, He may be in pain- any kind of surgery causes some pain. He could also just be out of sorts from having had a general anesthesia.