Dr. Johnson
Dr. Johnson, Veterinarian
Experience:  Special interest: orthopedics, neurology
31062341

The top of my dogs nose is swollen, like it has a large bump

The top of my dogs nose is swollen, like it has a large bump on it. Should I take him to emergency vet tonight?
He seems to be feeling fine. I have a photo of it...
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Johnson replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Johnson :

Hello there

Dr. Johnson :

How long has the bump been there

Dr. Johnson :

Has it gotten bigger in size at all?

Dr. Johnson :

You can attach a picture by clicking the tree icon

Customer:

Hello, My son just called me tonight and said that they had just noticed it. Then, he said he thinks there is another one on his side. I need to go get a cord and see if I can attach the picture, or I can text it to you from my phone.

Dr. Johnson :

We cannot give out our phone numbers, sorry

Dr. Johnson :

it is possible he was bitten by something or is having an allergic reaction

Customer:

ok, give me a minute to try to attach

Dr. Johnson :

do they feel like hives to you?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Johnson :

ok

Customer:

i am converting to pdf file now..

Dr. Johnson :

i don't know if a pdf will work, you can try

Dr. Johnson :

you may want to upload a jpg

Customer:

ok, let me try

Customer:

ugh... I cant convert it... can I forward the email some how?

Dr. Johnson :

sorry, there is no way

Dr. Johnson :

how large is the bump?

Customer:

Too me, they look larger than what I would think of as hives...

Customer:

Looks like the whole top of his nose is just swollen

Customer:

and the other two on his side look to be maybe the size of a nickel?

Dr. Johnson :

it certainly is still possibly a bite of some sort

Dr. Johnson :

how much does he weigh?

Dr. Johnson :

is his breathing affected at all?

Customer:

hold on... let me call. No, he seems to be breathing and acting fine

Dr. Johnson :

I would try giving him some benadryl in case it is an allergic reaction

Dr. Johnson :

the recommended dose is 1 mg per pound of bodyweight

Dr. Johnson :

so a 50-pound dog would get 50 mg (or 2 25mg benadryl pills)

Dr. Johnson :

and that can be repeated every 8 hours

Customer:

I think he weighs around 50. What should they watch for in deciding to take him to the vet?

Dr. Johnson :

if the swelling gets worse or if he starts making any noise when he's breathing then it is time to go to the vets

Dr. Johnson :

I hope that helps

Customer:

I know that they saw a scorpian in their apartment about a month ago... I know I am jumping to conclusions and "what ifs", but what would a scorpian bite/sting do?

Dr. Johnson :

it would depend on the type and size of scorpion

Dr. Johnson :

but it would be extremely painful

Customer:

hmmmm, it was very small, have no idea what type

Dr. Johnson :

they also usually have other symptoms, shaking, drooling, etc

Customer:

ok, he has no other symptoms. And do you mean that the bite itself would have been painful... at the time, or now the site would be painful? Does that make sense?

Dr. Johnson :

the site would still likely be painful

Customer:

ok. Well, then, I think we will try the Benedryl and watch him close. No emergency vet tonight if nothing changes. Thanks so much for your help. I am book marking this site for future!

Dr. Johnson :

your welcome

Dr. Johnson :

i hope the benadryl works

Dr. Johnson :

please click accept if this information has been helpful

Dr. Johnson, Veterinarian
Experience: Special interest: orthopedics, neurology