Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog suddenly started shaking and seems weak. He stops shaking

Customer Question

My dog suddenly started shaking and seems weak. He stops shaking for a little bit and then starts again like he is cold. What is wrong with my dog?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the question.

In direct answer to your question : What you should do, just to be on the safe side is have your vet check your Jack X over sooner rather than later.

While the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease via the internet I would say from the fact that he is shaking and weak that it is highly likely that your dog is running a temperature and so may be in the grip of some kind of infection.

I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case I think it is not worth the risk as it could well be that antibiotics would be what is needed if your Jack X is indeed running a temperature, but you should be aware that other diagnosis are also possible. I am sorry I cannot give you any more specific advice via the internet.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is there any way that I can do something to possibly help him? No vet in our area will look at him without a lot of money up front because i have already called them. He stops shaking and closes his eyes as long as we pet him.
Hello again,

I am so sorry I cannot offer any specific advice, to do so would be very dangerous. What your dog has could be something very minor or it could be something very serious indeed. There is just no way of knowing ...

Regards,

Scott