Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

I believe my dog has pulled a muscle in his back leg. It feels

I believe my dog has pulled a muscle in his back leg. It feels like it is a pulled muscle in the groin. What can I do to help him? I lost my job two years ago and do not have the funds to go to the vet.

Hi, I am Dr. Peter and would like to help.

1- Can you describe what are the signs your dog is showing?

2- How long has this been going on?

3- Do you know how it happened?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

1- He jumped off the couch tonight and started crying (yelping) hold up his back left leg. He has been limping on it since then and whining.

2 - He had been favoring that leg slightly a few days ago after a walk in the park, but then started walking fine on it. This current episode happened this evening.

3 - My daughter came home and he started jumping up to greet her, jumped off the couch and immediately started yelping holding up his leg.

1- The lameness started after jumping up to greet your daughter or when he jumped off the couch?

2- Any swelling?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

1 - After he jumped off the couch

2 - It doesn't feel swollen to me, but it does feel tight and drawn up a little. He keeps licking the area.

This could be related to a soft tissue injury (ligament, muscle or tendon), dislocation or fracture. What you could do is rest him; no jumping or running. Limit activity to urinate and defecate on a leash. Place cold compresses for 5-10 minutes 3-4 times a day. Start him on Buffered Aspirin 5-10mg per pound body weight every 12 hours with some food. Try not to keep on Aspirin for more than a week as it can cause gastric irritation. If no significant improvement in 2-3 days, consider having him checked by ASPCA or a shelter where they offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can I also give him baby Benadryl for allergies?
If he is suffering from allergies yes you can give benadryl (diphenhydramine); the dose is 1mg per pound body weight every 8-12 hours. It does not need to be Baby Benadryl.