Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery

With a dog is it safe to use AMDRO fire ant bait granules in yard?

Customer Question

Is it safe to use AMDRO fire ant bait granuals in the yard. We have a 7 month old pure bred lab pup that has recently been diagnosed with Addisons Disease after a crisis event during surgery for an emergency lap. procedure. The Active ingredient is Hydramethylnon

What would the signs and symptoms be for toxicity?

He has had nausea, diarrhea, for 24 hours...and bad breath..almost a sour smell.
these were the symptoms that he had prior to his last crisis.
He had what looked like a blockage..but it turned out to be swollen lymph nodes..but there was an acorn in his colon.
He cardiac arrested during the procedure..K was 10...shortly after he was diagnosed with addisons.
He is being treated with the monthly injections..just got second injection last week..
has gained 10 lbs over the last month..current wt. 42 lbs.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 5 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question regarding Jake. Hydramethylnon is actually very safe in dogs, within reason. Ingesting a small amount will not be toxic to dogs, though it can cause some stomach upset, and in a patient with Addison's disease, it could potentially be worse than in an otherwise normal patient, but it is not likely to create a life threatening situation.

I use Amdro in my yard, as we have a huge fire ant population. My 3 dogs have picked up some granules here and there, and have no ill effects as a result. It is a safe and effective product.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Do you think I can let my husband out of the "dog house" for using this in the yard? This pup has just been thru so much.
Is there any other alternative treatment for fire ant's that we can try that won't have increased risk for him? we also have a huge problem with fire ants?

Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 5 years ago.
I don't think there's any reason to be upset with your husband for using Amdro - as far as household chemicals go, it's one of the most benign ones that exist.

Some people say using grits around the fire ant holes is effective, but I haven't tried it, since a small amount of Amdro works so well and is safe.

I think Jake's issues are likely to be cause for concern, but I don't see how the Amdro would be to blame for it. Any time an Addisonian patient is showing signs of illness, an electrolyte panel should be checked, to be sure that there's not a "decompensation" going on internally.