Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My yorkie is lethargic, not eating, sudden onset, as far as

My yorkie is lethargic, not eating, sudden onset, as far as known not gotten into anything, also happened a month ago lab & xrays normal, put on anitbiotics and a PPI seem to be okay until now
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 years ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. How long has this been going on for? Any vomiting or diarrhea? Any pain if you press on both sides of her abdomen? Is a PPI a proton pump inhibitor?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Going on since yesterday, no vomiting or diarrhea. No bowel movement yet today. Does not seem to bother him when you put hands around abdoment and press, does seem to bother when you pick him up by putting hands around abdoment(body). Yes PPI is proton pump inhibitor. Last month when at the vets for two days and given anitbotics seemed to be good until yesterday
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the information. Has there been any change in diet, given human food or gotten into the trash or plants? Could he have gotten into any Halloween candy yesterday?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

He did sniff out some crumbs on the floor from saltine crackers that were being eaten by humans. But was feeling lathargic prior to this.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the information. Sorry about the wait. There seems to be a lot of GI problems going on today. That is why I was wondering how many had gotten into Halloween candy. In a situation like this, I would probably try some boneless, skinless chicken breast, white or brown rice and low fat cottage cheese to see if you can stimulate appetite first. This is usually bland enough for them to eat (no spices). If there is still no eating by tomorrow, have your vet check her out and at the vary least put her on the same medications. You can even use famotidine (Pepcid) at home. The dose is 2.5mg per 10lbs of body weight. That can sometimes be difficult to dose if she is a small Yorkie. As long as there is no vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, abdominal pain or pale gums; it doesn't sound like an emergency situation and may correct itself in 1-2 days. I tend to get concerned with hypoglycemia in small breed dogs if not eating well, though, so I don't like to let them go more than a day. A calorie supplement, such as Nurtrical, may buy you some time, though. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.