Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.

dog licked small amount of tea tree oil from skin

Dr. Jo :

My name isXXXXX and I would be happy to help you with you with your question about your dog and tea tree oil.

Tea tree oil can indeed be toxic to a dog, but she would have to consume enough of it for it to be a problem. It can cause exactly the symptoms you described: vomiting, lethargy, and sometimes even a wobbly gait. It seems unlikely, though, that she would have consumed enough of it to get any sicker.

When we get a phone call from someone whose dog has JUST eaten tea tree oil, we do NOT recommend making them vomit. Sometimes we will administer activated charcoal by mouth, but otherwise, it's just a matter of providing supportive care where the poison runs its course.

At this point in time for your dog simply keep an eye on her. I would expect her to be getting better at this point, and returning to her normal appetite and energy level. If she still seems to be getting worse, it's time for a trip to the vet.

Please REPLY if you have other questions that I can answer. I'm happy to help!

Thanks for using Just Answer!