Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

My 10 year old pug is hacking and acts as if he wants to cough

Customer Question

My 10 year old pug is hacking and acts as if he want's to cough something up. He has not been borded at all. His toungue is pink, he's acting normal with tail curled is eating and going outside to do his business. Is there anything I can give him? Children's Tylenol or Benadryl. He has not vomited, either and is drinking water.

**Dr. Bruce, I apologize. For some reason I cannot upload to youtube. Still trying.

*****Dr. Bruce, video is finally uploaded. You can find it under lombamc1 his name isXXXXX so sorry it took so long.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. Is Winston having any collapse episodes? How often are these hacking events occurring? Does it seem like there are more when he plays or is active?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes. Especially when he is active and even when having a bowel movement.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 years ago.
Can you video one of the events and post it on you tube for me to view?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 years ago.
Great. Being able to see it will help out a lot. A picture is worth a thousand words and a video is worth a million! Let me know when it is up.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will, Dr. Bruce. Thank you so much! I should have it for you in a few minutes.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Bruce,

I do not know if I am doing this correctly and I apologize if this has posted more than once, I was finally able to upload the video for Winston on youtube after some tech difficulties. It is filed under lombamc1.

Sorry for the delay.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX

Marlene Villalobos

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 years ago.

Sorry for my delay. Very, very good job on the video. It is always neat when I can meet a patient and owner by this means. The coughing that he's doing has me suspicious that this could either be a tracheal issue, a primary lung issue, or a heart issue. A lot of small breed dogs get what is called collapsing tracheas. Basically, the cartilage holding the trachea ridged and open get weaker with age and it allows the trachea to collapse when they get excited. When this happens they make sounds very similar to what Winston was making in the video. In cases of collapsing tracheas, there's nothing really to give them orally to correct it. It is a situation where weight and activity are monitored. We try to keep them quiet to avoid the events that preclude a bad event. Also, not walking them with collars and leashes, but instead harnesses and leashes - to avoid pressure on the neck area. Here is a great link on collapsing tracheas.

If it isn't a collapsing trachea, it could be a primary lung or heart issue. These are screened for with a physical exam and chest x-rays. It is good that he's otherwise acting normal so hopefully it decreases the chance of these. But, since they can progress and be very serious, I always recommend an exam with your vet to screen for them. If they are there, they need more specific therapy.

Thanks again for allowing me the chance to meet Winston.