Dr. E.T.
Dr. E.T., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  5 years as a general practitioner including experience in emergency medicine
20714103

Post-op recovery time for eye removal (after dog fight, eye

Post-op recovery time for eye removal (after dog fight, eye not functional, was kept in but now the decision to remove it)

Dog has syringomyelia at the same time which is getting worse (also already had a surgery but bought several months only)

Dr. E.T. :

Hello BabelFish.

Dr. E.T. :

Enucleation (eye removal) is usually well tolerated by dogs. They adjust to only having one eye fairly quickly. The stitches usually come out about 2 weeks after the surgery.

Dr. E.T. :

Most dogs that have an eye removed wear an E collar for about 2 weeks to prevent accidentally bumping the surgery site or scratching at it. They are often up and walking around within a few hours.

Customer :

Hi! Wow, chat, never tried this before :-)

Customer :

the concern is taking time from her life which is not clear how much there is due to the SM

Customer :

The eye non-functional already, thought they could save it/keep in, but conclusion is removal is better idea

Customer :

How long before can get to normal life?

Dr. E.T. :

I understand. The surgery itself is fairly quick (about an hour) and the pet is often more comfortable afterwards.

Customer :

that poor dog can't catch a break

Customer :

so 2 weeks of e-collar, huh?

Dr. E.T. :

Often te pet is up and around within the week. There is some post-operative discomfort. I just did one and the dog RAN out the front door the day afterwards.

Customer :

:-)

Customer :

ok, thank you! :-)

Dr. E.T. :

Well, every dog is different with the E-collar. I tell owners 2 weeks, knowing that the pet may only wear it for 7-10 days.

Customer :

makes sense

Customer :

thank you!