Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

My dog has a deep open wound on her neck. The hole is round,

My dog has a deep open wound on her neck. The hole is round, about the size of a marble. Its bleeding, but not heavily. It also appears to be oozing a bit. This is similar to another wound she had about 5 months ago. I still have medicines that my vet gave me at that time. They areTrypzyme liquid and Cephalexin tabs 500mg. I tried cleaning the wound. She doesn't appear to have any pain. I also applied the Trypzyme and gave her one Cephalexin. Is it OK to continue these treatments until I can take her to the vet tomorrow morning? Is there anything else I need to do?__Thanks
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 years ago.

Hi there and welcome to Just answer!! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

You are doing great so far! This wound if it was from a dog bite or a laceration from playing, will require you to clean this thoroughly with hydrogen peroxide every day and then apply the Trypzyme. Give the Cephalalexin as directed for the last wound and this will be sufficient. It is best to leave these types of wounds open so they can drain the infectious material out and the healing will be by second intention or in other words, from the inside out.

If it appears infected, have your vet check it but if you follow these instructions, he should be fine.

Good Luck!

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX